Subject: Re: bug#53541: backtrace during fresh Guix System install after during formatting

From: "bdju" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 21:34:11 -0600

On Thu Feb 3, 2022 at 12:34 PM CST, Leo Famulari wrote:
> We made many changes to the installer code today:
>
> ------
> $ git log --oneline 0d37a5df7e709cadca97cfbbf9c680dfe54b8302^..4943ac86e4f95a2e14fd209f3fdaac74a0d9ca2e
> 4943ac86e4 installer: Use system-wide guix for system init.
> ad55ccf9b1 installer: Make dump archive creation optional and selective.
> 112ef30b84 installer: Turn passwords into opaque records.
> 41eb0f01fc installer: Use dynamic-wind to setup installer.
> 7cbd95a9f6 installer: Add error page when running external commands.
> 726d0bd2f3 installer: Use named prompt to abort or break installer steps.
> 59fec4a1a2 installer: Add nano to PATH.
> ed6567abbf installer: Replace run-command by invoke in newt/page.scm.
> dad9a1c0b2 installer: Fix run-file-textbox-page when edit-button is #f.
> 0a74509a69 installer: Raise condition when mklabel fails.
> af59e53631 installer: Use run-command-in-installer in (gnu installer parted).
> 408427a36c installer: Add installer-specific run command process.
> 0b9fbbb4dd installer: Capture external commands output.
> c57ec6ed1e installer: Remove specific logging code.
> 2f7f1d11e9 installer: Keep PATH inside the install container.
> 438bf9b840 installer: Un-export syslog syntax.
> 4f2fd33b4f installer: Use new installer-log-line everywhere.
> 7251b15d30 installer: Generalize logging facility.
> 4a68a00c8b installer: Use define instead of let at top-level.
> 0d37a5df7e installer: Add crash dump upload support.
> ------
>
> Your report doesn't explain how to reproduce the bug. Can you test the
> latest installer again and see if the bug still exists?
>
> Here is the installer image that contains these changes:
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/build/460051/details
>
> Or get it from here:
> https://guix.gnu.org/en/download/latest/

It would be difficult to test now, I no longer have an empty SSD waiting
to be installed on in the same PC. I ended up getting through an install
with the last stable release using the same settings.
>From memory, it was set up for EFI, btrfs root partition, encryption
enabled, boot partition was fat32, I chose no environment (wanted to use
sway), accepted networkmanager, tor, cups... I kept the default
generated config.scm because it often crashed when trying to edit and I
was sick of starting over. I think the crash was either right before the
screen where you can edit the config or right after you tell it to apply
the config. I had a second HDD (not touched by the installer) in
addition to the SSD being installed on, and /dev/sdc/ was the flash
drive with the installer image on it.
I am glad to hear it's (maybe) fixed. I'll download a new ISO, but I
don't have a hypervisor configured to test this sort of thing. I could
maybe try it with a different computer, but still it would be hard to
find one I'm willing to wipe I think. Sorry I can't be more help.
I have still only ever done 3 full Guix System installs, all years
apart. Unfortunately I never considered the experience fun enough to do
besides when absolutely necessary.