Subject: [PATCH 0/1] Add poppler-with-data.

From: Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 08:59:30 +0900

Hi,

I would like to view PDF files in Japanese with a viewer such as Evince, but
it seems that it cannot render Japanese at present, so I wrote a patch.

As far as I know, in order for Poppler to render CJK text, one of the
following conditions must be met

1. Install poppler with poppler-data preinstalled.
2. Install poppler, then poppler-data in the path expected by
poppler. (`POPPLER_INSTALL_PREFIX/share/poppler`)

ref:
https://github.com/freedesktop/poppler/blob/277f5de9684b3392f0d585bd36ad1a5e9e9e9ed7/CMakeLists.txt#L348-L362

Guix provides poppler and poppler-data as standalone packages, but installing
both will not satisfy either of the above prerequisites.

So I defined poppler with poppler-data as a package with the name
popper-with-data.

This package is intended to be used in the installation of packages that also
have poppler as a dependency, as shown below.

   guix package -i evince --with-input=poppler=poppler-with-data

However, As a user, this is still a bit of a hassle, so if you have a better
idea, I'd like to see it.

Incidentally, it seems that Nix had defined its own environment variable
(PLOPPER_DATADIR) to deal with this problem.

The usage of this variable seems to have been changed in the next commit, but
I personally thought it was a generic and useful way to deal with the problem.

ref:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/17819/commits/1bde33074efa11fa2edcf71032d2e634f852f349

If it is allowed to integrate poppler and poppler-data, that would be the
simplest solution.

Thank you.

Taiju HIGASHI (1):
  gnu: Add poppler-with-data.

 gnu/packages/pdf.scm | 11 +++++++++++
 1 file changed, 11 insertions(+)

--
2.34.0