Subject: Re: [PATCH v2] gnu: Include poppler-data with poppler.

From: Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2022 22:35:41 +0900

> I need to ask you: are the contents of poppler-data now included in the
> install of poppler?  If not, that might be a reason as to why gimp and
> glimpse are failing.

It is understood as follows.

poppler (with poppler-data)

  1. During the build process, poppler will check to see if poppler-data
  has been installed by pkg-config.
  2. Newer versions of poppler depend on poppler-data directly, and
  pkg-config can detect poppler-data during the build process.

gimp and glimpse (without poppler-data)

  1. During the build process, gimp and glimpse will check to see if poppler-data
  has been installed by pkg-config.
  2. gimp or glimpse depend on poppler-data indirectly, and pkg-config
  cannot detect poppler-data during the build process.

The above is just a problem in the build process.
Poppler knows where the poppler-data is during the build process, so the
installed poppler can use it in its processing.

I have confirmed in the poppler build log that poppler-data is detected.

I have also confirmed that evince can render Japanese PDFs with the
contents of this patch.

I'll add the changelog and split the commits together at the end.

Thanks