Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/1] Add poppler-with-data.

From: Taiju HIGASHI <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 22:38:02 +0900

Hi Liliana,

> That seems to be one solution, but note that the Qt5 variants of
> poppler would still be affected by that bug.

You're right, poppler-qt5 also needs a variant with poppler-data added.

> Instead, I suggest we make poppler-with-data a replacement for
> poppler, which should by package/inherit then also apply to the other
> variants.
>
> I've CC'd Marius, Tobias and Leo to aid me in my judgement here, but I
> think grafts would be necessary if we don't want to do input rewriting
> with several variants.

I apologize if I didn't understand exactly what you meant.
Am I correct in understanding that the direction of this patch is
correct?

The idea is to create a variant called poppler-qt5-with-data and replace
the input of packages that depend on poppler-qt5 with it.

I'm starting to think that this patch proposal is a realistic and
reasonable solution.

I'm using poppler-with-data to write the manifest, but without
poppler-with-data, I'm not sure what I'd do.

In fact, I'm using poppler-with-data to write manifests, and it's much
better than not using poppler-with-data.

At least I don't have to redefine evince etc. on my own anymore.

ref:
https://git.sr.ht/~taiju/taix/tree/8a3ab4407eefe720193e401cf8f11d96550733e9/item/guix-config/package-config.scm

If I am interpreting your reply incorrectly, I would appreciate it if
you could be more specific.

> Are there any other packages you might want to install into
> POPPLER_INSTALL_PREFIX?  If so, a colon-separated POPPLER_DATA_PATH
> should be preferred.  Note that if we add that feature, we'd still have
> to graft it on master currently.

At the moment, there is nothing other than poppler-data that we want to
install in POPPLER_INSTALL_PREFIX.

However, this idea, while generic, may be confusing to users, as shown
in the reason why it was deprecated in Nix.
At least, if the package poppler-with-data exists, we can speculate that
it might be able to solve the problem.

QUOTE:
    Previously we relied on an environment variable POPPLER_DATADIR
    which practically noone used and everyone was expected to set. This
    is a good candidate for a feature option because noone really
    _noticed_ that this data is not available. Disabled by default
    because of this and size of the data (22M).

ref:
https://github.com/NixOS/nixpkgs/pull/17819/commits/1bde33074efa11fa2edcf71032d2e634f852f349

Thanks