Subject: bug#53534: 28.0.91; on netbsd 'gmake install' outputs 'find: chown: No such file or directory'

From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2022 15:06:18 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2022, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>
> Isn't it customary to use sudo when installing stuff?
>

Taking GNU Screen as an example, the settings for the system go in 
/etc/screenrc, which would need chown to install in the first place, 
the user can install their settings in ~/.screenrc, without use of 
chown.

>> I guess they are to deal with tar defaulting to --same-owner for root.
>
> Most probably.
>
> In any case, I don't see any serious problem in the reported behavior,
> those are just warnings AFAIU.
>

I hesistated before reporting this bug, thinking my storage device 
had wornout and was spewing the error.  I got around to fscking then 
reported this.  A better looking log trace collapses and counts the 
repeating line and explains chown is not on the path is a help to 
know.  The autogen.sh script can detect chown is not on the path, 
right?

-- 
vl