Subject: bug#5353: 23.1; buffer pull-down menu not complete

From: John Telting <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 13:48:54 +0000

++++
  Report:

  when loading files into emacs using the cntr-x cntr-f keys,
  the loaded file is not added to the "Buffers" pull-down menu
  anylonger. This used to be the case in older versions of
  emacs, and was a nice feature. 

  My current Emacs is version 23.1.1, on Ubuntu 8.04.
  Only the buffers given at the command line at startup are present
  in the pull-down menu, together with the Scratch and Messages
  buffers.

  John Telting ([email-masked])
++++

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.16.5)
 of 2009-09-14 on raven, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
configured using `configure  '--build=i486-linux-gnu' '--host=i486-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.1/leim' '--with-x=yes' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 'build_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'host_alias=i486-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g' 'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> C-x 2 C-x 1 <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<menu-bar> <help-menu> <emacs-known-problems> <next> 
C-s b u f f e r C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s C-s 
C-s C-s C-s C-s <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-a <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <buffer> C-@ <help-echo> 
C-x C-f 1 0 1 <backspace> <tab> 1 <tab> <return> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x b C-g <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <tool-bar> 
<new-file> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <send-emacs-bug
-report>

Recent messages:
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50psvn.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Note: file is write protected
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
Mark saved where search started
Quit
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.