Subject: bug#53520: [PATCH] tabulated-list gradually truncate image

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 19:04:15 +0300

> I think you're trying to use the mode for things it's not really
> suited for, and adding things like this will only be half measures.

A clarification on what exactly is expected of tabulated-list-mode with
regards to the current issue and how it fails to (in an unamendable way)
fulfill those expectations would be appreciated.

---

> There's a lot of things the package using the mode could want to have
> done with the contents of the table,

Image resizing can be handled the same way `tabulated-list-printer' is
currently handled; as a variable that points to a function, whose
built-in value supports most common needs.  That would solve the issue
of packages being incapable of controlling the process.

> and modes can advise tabulated-list-print to do these transforms if
> they want to.

As it stands, the variable `tabulated-list-printer' is used to control
the way printing is done and any package that wants to print differently
should be setting that variable to their own printing function.
Packages should not be exposed to the printing process unless they are
offering functionality that /cannot/ be handled by tabulated-list.

---

PS: The actual point of the previous message, which went unanswered was:
> Considering the width of a column can be changed arbitrarily by the user
> is it not expected for tabulated-list to handle images in a way that
> works for all widths?

---

PPS: I am thinking of carrying this conversation over to emacs-devel.
     Are you okay with that?