Subject: Re: bug#53520: [PATCH] tabulated-list gradually truncate image

From: Thuna <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 17:02:21 +0300

> I think it a tabulated-list caller wants to insert images into the
> table, they should ensure that the width of the image is appropriate for
> the column.

Considering the width of a column can be changed arbitrarily by the user
is it not expected for tabulated-list to handle images in a way that
works for all widths?

> And as you say, this only chops off the parts of the image -- I think
> it's more likely that a caller would want to set the width with
> :max-width or the like.

I do not wholly disagree that the current strategy of slicing the image
may not be the ideal solution for all situations, however is it not
better to handle images even if done poorly (which I would argue is not
the case) than it is to not handle them altogether?

Other methods of (yet unimplemented) resizing an image include scaling
it down and hiding it when it doesn't fit.  All of these methods have
their use cases and it should be relatively simple to introduce a
variable that controls which one is used.