Subject: bug#53513: 28.0.50; fido-vertical-mode does not work with tramp

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 10:15:14 +0100

schlurfi--- via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs, the Swiss army knife of text
editors" <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi,

> emacs -Q
> C-x C-f
> type: "//ssh:" -> expectation: start completion, first host, then
> directories / files on host. However, nothing meaningful happens...

In your recipe, ypu don't mention enabling fido-vertical-mode. Running
your recipe as-it-is works for me as expected.

With fido-vertical-mode enabled, this is bug #51386 and #52758, I'm
merging this bug with them. It is an unfortunate problem Tramp cannot
solve alone.

> Note: with only fido-mode, it is possible to open a tramp connection,
> but trying to change the directory deletes the whole line (//ssh:...)
> instead of only the directory. This means one has to start from scratch
> typing the connection details etc.

Hmm, this I cannot reproduce locally. Perhaps you have typed three
slashes "///" in order to change the directory? Could you pls give an
exact recipe, starting with "emacs -Q"?

Best regards, Michael.