Subject: bug#53507: [External] : bug#53507: 27.1; syntax highlight in the eval-expression prompt

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2022 00:39:27 +0100

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> 1. Font-locking a sexp you're typing isn't very
>    important.

Agreed.  Doesn't harm OTOH.

> 2. Turning on `emacs-lisp-mode' for reading the sexp
>    is overkill.  Unless you prevent it, it entails
>    running the mode hook, which can do all kinds of
>    things and might take a while.  It's likely to be
>    problematic.

The advantage would be that the user gets all his related settings
gratis.  But I guess making that the default is not acceptable anyway.

> 3. Although in principle it's only orthogonal, what
>    I'd propose is to concentrate on the _result_
>    sexp, instead of the input sexp to evaluate.

The minibuffer part is also important.  We do have completion and eldoc
when reading input, which is already very good.  Font-Lock is a minor
issue but is still helpful.  A part that currently is not that well
covered in the minibuffer, in my opinion, is multi-line expression
editing.

Michael.