Subject: bug#53478: closed (Re: bug#53478: 26.3; Document text-terminal (non)support of pixel-relevant features)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:55:05 +0000

Your bug report

#53478: 26.3; Document text-terminal (non)support of pixel-relevant features

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53478: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53478
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53478: 26.3; Document text-terminal (non)support of pixel-relevant features
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 18:53:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:25:12 +0000
> 
> I tried to help with this user question:
> 
> https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/70231/105
> 
> I'm no expert on this.  I guessed that Emacs in terminal mode can't
> support most pixel-level operations.

That question has nothing to do with pixel-level operations.  It asks
about functions like x-display-pixel-width that are not available in a
build --without-x.

> I wanted to point the user to the Emacs manual about this.  I tried to
> find info about it with `i' using keyword `terminal' (even with
> substring matching for completions).  I found nothing.  Likewise, with
> keyword `pixel'.

I see no reason to say in the manual anything about this that we don't
already do.  Every place that talks about pixels either says it's
relevant to graphical displays, or discusses stiff that is only
relevant to GUI.  The doc string of x-display-pixel-width, for
example, says:

  Return the width in pixels of the X display TERMINAL.
                                    ^^^^^^^^^
So I don't think we should do anything here, and I'm closing this bug
report.

Subject: 26.3; Document text-terminal (non)support of pixel-relevant features
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 16:25:12 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I tried to help with this user question:

https://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/70231/105

I'm no expert on this.  I guessed that Emacs in terminal mode can't
support most pixel-level operations.

I wanted to point the user to the Emacs manual about this.  I tried to
find info about it with `i' using keyword `terminal' (even with
substring matching for completions).  I found nothing.  Likewise, with
keyword `pixel'.

I then used `C-s' to search the manual for `terminal', with no luck.  I
then tried searching the manual for `pixel'.  The only relevant info I
found was Glossary entry Text Terminal.

Assuming I just searched poorly, please consider adding some index
entries for this information.  If the info is missing, apart from that
caveat in the Glossary, please consider adding some relevant info.

In GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32)
 of 2019-08-29
Repository revision: 96dd0196c28bc36779584e47fffcca433c9309cd
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 10.0.19043
Configured using:
 `configure --without-dbus --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
 --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-O2 -static -g3''