Subject: [bug#53466] [PATCH] home: Add redshift service.

From: Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2022 12:52:06 +0300

On 2022-02-08 10:22, Ludovic Courtès wrote:

> Hi Andrew,
>
> I hadn’t noticed this message of yours earlier…
>
> Andrew Tropin <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> I think I'll move (gnu home-services ...) I personally use and
>> incompatible with system services approach to (rde home services) not to
>> confuse people and will maintain them myself.  But I'm ok if someone
>> would like to rewrite to the usual style and upstream them, I will help
>> with the review.
>
> Alright noted.  I would obviously prefer if you would instead contribute
> those services to Guix Home proper—that was the whole point of getting
> it merge in Guix in the first place, right?

Originally, I planned to upstream them, but the implementation of rde
home services is quite different from guix system services, that means
it would be necessary to almost completely rewrite them to match the
style of system services and move them to Guix proper.  In addition to
updating rde parts depending on those services it's a humongous amount
of work.  I can't do it right now for various reasons, so I will just
move them from (gnu home-services) to prevent future compatibilty
problems and the overall amount the usage by people who are looking for
guix home services.

In the meantime people looking for some missing home services can take
an inspiration from rde home service and send patches to guix-patches
with proper implementation, I can help with code review and provide some
insights, suggestions and knowledge about possible pitfalls.

Maybe in the future rde will be able to migrate to guix home services.

> I feel that perhaps, contrary to what I thought, we hadn’t reached a
> shared understanding of what it means to maintain things collectively
> withing Guix.  It’s a bit of a sad situation, but I’m sure there’ll
> still be good things happening in Guix Home, and in rde.

I try to upstream everything I can, to make everyone in Guix community
be able benefit from it and also to make a code benefit from collective
maintenance in Guix repo.  BTW, sending you a lot of kudos for improving
guix home and symlink-manager code.

Resending this email to keep public record of it. (It was declined by
debbugs cause issue was archived).

-- 
Best regards,
Andrew Tropin