Subject: bug#53452: 29.0.50; C-<arrow> selection broken by translate-upper-case-key-bindings

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2022 11:19:33 +0100

>>>>> On Mon, 24 Jan 2022 15:39:28 +0200, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> said:
    >> Why not?

    Eli> Because people will probably  want it applied to any key.  There's
    Eli> nothing special about letters, except that "upper-case" implicitly
    Eli> refers to letters.

Let's start again:

Currently, S-<right> produces S-<right>, but is translated to <right>,
and C-S-a is translated to C-a

If you set translate-upper-case-key-bindings to nil, then S-<right>
produces S-<right>, and C-S-a produces C-S-a

So the effect is as if the option were called
'translate-shift-bindings', but that effect is not called out
anywhere.

So either we fix the behaviour, or the documentation. Would it be that
hard to restrict this to something like [a-z] or !function key? Or we
could always add yet-another-user-option.

Robert
--