Subject: Re: [bug#53439] [PATCH] doc: Document search paths.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 13:49:57 +0100

Ludovic Courtès schreef op za 22-01-2022 om 11:47 [+0100]:
> +What this @code{native-search-paths} field says is that, when the
> +@code{python} package is used, the @env{GUIX_PYTHONPATH} environment
> +variable must be defined to include all the
> +@file{lib/python/3.9/site-packages} sub-directories encountered in its
> +environment.  (The @code{native-} bit means that, if we are in a
> +cross-compilation environment, only native inputs may be added to the
> +search path.)  In the NumPy example above, the profile where

This bit about inputs/native-inputs seems a little imprecise:

(package
  (name "foobarify")
  [...]
  (inputs guile)
  (propagated-inputs
    ;; TODO: would be nice to unpropagate
    (list guile-foo guile-bar guile-ify))
  ;; "foobarify" allows running arbitrary Guile scripts,
  ;; so allow the user to use arbitrary Guile libraries
  ;; from the environment  in their scripts at will.
  (native-search-paths
    [GUILE_LOAD_PATH, GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH, ...]))

$ [ guix cross-compile a virtual image with foobarify in the system
profile]

IIUC, guile-foo, guile-bar and guile-ify will be included in the
GUILE_LOAD_PATH/GUILE_LOAD_COMPILED_PATH of the system profile, even
though we are cross-compiling and they are 'inputs' and not 'native-
inputs' of 'foobarify' ...

Greetings,
Maxime.