Subject: Patches to unbreak many i686 packages

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 03:54:11 +0100

Hi,

This is a patch serie to unbreak many i686 packages.

In it, there is a patch to disable tests for Guix. This is necessary
until the bug #52752 [1] is fixed. Part of it was fixed, but then some
new tests failed and I'm unsure if I've managed to re-open the
bug, or if I should bugreport in a new bug.

I've tested this patch serie by building a system (I've attached the
system.scm) with the following command:
> ./pre-inst-env guix system build -M 1 -c 1 --save-provenance \
> system.scm

I use that system.scm as it worked before as my guix system
installation used that (with gdm enabled and without (debug? #t) and
(wayland? #t) in the gdm configuration).

The big issue I had when doing that work is that at the time I managed
to verify that everything was ok with guix system build, but at that
point new commits are merged into the Guix repository, and after
rebasing, the build takes ages again (usually one day or more) due to
missing substitutes but also because building Guix also hangs with
messages like that:
> GC Warning: Failed to expand heap by 1335296 bytes
> GC Warning: Out of Memory! Heap size: 2617 MiB. Returning NULL!
> Warning: Unwind-only out of memory exception; skipping pre-unwind
> handler.
> Warning: Unwind-only out of memory exception; skipping pre-unwind
> handler.
That is not an issue when building it with 'make' as you restart at the
same point, but when running guix system build you need to restart from
scratch.

So I've tested all that on top of commit
4d7a997ee147acf82c8ca510c0ecd3f520ea74f4 (gnu: Add nhooks.), and right
now I'm still in the process of testing the rebase on top of commit
cadcbbaf655953b28df9466c07b4b5c63d29b00b (gnu: r-bigmelon: Add r-knitr.

I've sent patches for the rebased version.

References:
-----------
[1]http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=52752

Denis.