Subject: bug#5341 closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5341: Windows version of emacs does not support Indian Languages)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:46:01 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the emacs package:

#5341: Windows version of emacs does not support Indian Languages

It has been closed by Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5341: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5341
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5341: Windows version of emacs does not support Indian Languages
From: Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
To: Praveen A <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 23:45:33 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Praveen A wrote:
> It would be good to have Indic support on windows as well.
>   

Emacs has this support already.

My guess is that wine does the right thing with simple text output from 
applications like Notepad, but does not fully emulate calls to the 
underlying uniscribe library, which multilingual programs like Emacs use 
directly.

Subject: Windows version of emacs does not support Indian Languages
From: Praveen A <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Kiran Jonnalagadda <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 20:27:37 +0530
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

One of my friends is looking for a way of using Indic comments in his
code. I suggested emacs as I have been using it successfully in many
Indian languages. But Indic text is not displayed in windows version
of emacs.

I downloaded windows version of emacs from
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/ and ran it on GNU/Linux
using wine. It is showing question marks when entering Indic text,
selecting default font does not make any difference. I tested notepad
with wine and it displays Indic text correctly.

It would be good to have Indic support on windows as well.

Thanks
Praveen

-- 
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍
<GPLv2> I know my rights; I want my phone call!
<DRM> What use is a phone call, if you are unable to speak?
(as seen on /.)
Join The DRM Elimination Crew Now!
http://fci.wikia.com/wiki/Anti-DRM-Campaign