Subject: Re: bug#53398: 29.0.50; narrow-to-region induces buffer recentering

From: Jose A Ortega Ruiz <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 15:42:51 +0000

On Sun, Jan 23 2022, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:

> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> So I don't think there's anything in this behavior that isn't
>> expected.  If you want to prevent recentering, try setting
>> max-mini-window-height to 1, so that mini-windows aren't resized.  (I
>> didn't try it, though.)  Or just don't ask the echo-area messages to
>> display so much stuff.
>
> Yes, I don't think there's anything much we could do on the Emacs side
> here -- any function that issues a message while narrowing is in effect
> will lead to recentring with a set-message function like this.

just for my own understanding: are you saying that the fact that the
minibuffer displays more than one line causes a re-centering of my
current buffer? why is that normal? if i M-: (message "a\nb\n"), should
i expect that my current buffer is recentered?  (it isn't).

(also, for the record, the message displayed by that custom set-message
does not span more than one line, as far as i can tell.)