Subject: bug#53397: closed (Re: bug#53397: --dry-run not effective on 'guix pull')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 20:28:01 +0000

Your bug report

#53397: --dry-run not effective on 'guix pull'

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53397: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53397
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53397: --dry-run not effective on 'guix pull'
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:27:27 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi again,

Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]> writes:

> Hello,
>
> The 'guix pull' command a --dry-run option, per "guix pull --help", but
> it doesn't work:
>
> $ guix pull --commit=1995920f687020720d22bf8656fdde5ea1908747 --dry-run
> Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
> Updating channel 'sfl-packages' from Git repository at 'https://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel'...
> Building from these channels:
>   sfl-packageshttps://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel      6385881
>   guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   1995920
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
> building /gnu/store/z3s04zx6cncpfffqhg1g8fkzyiiran54-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
> Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |^C

It seems I should have been a bit more patient.  The full command read
as:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix pull --commit=1995920f687020720d22bf8656fdde5ea1908747 --dry-run
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Updating channel 'sfl-packages' from Git repository at 'https://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel'...
Building from these channels:
  sfl-packageshttps://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel      6385881
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   1995920
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... -
                                                                                                         \
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
The following derivations would be built:
   /gnu/store/y89p6mxyng59ql27bzkz6mpl29f4d42a-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/0zfzgpdir6xhnwhnshlam85mcld7ynnb-sfl-packages.drv
   /gnu/store/25rvqdz96f16hqnhlli6aajhcap70k40-guix-1995920f6.drv
   /gnu/store/ijail6rcqvl3nl115qwka2whn8l5mi24-guix-daemon.drv
   /gnu/store/wnr4j0hcjcfzcxc8jd8k44av5982nir2-guix-command.drv
   /gnu/store/dvlcml6mk0iy7zfjwyc3md0ahw6gghvd-guix-module-union.drv
   /gnu/store/yvisngmzfq2hprmhbwi1671y10zswmvh-guix-1995920f6-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/p5b0y71lhmlsga7f643acgcw50klr34q-guix-config-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/qvxcm42f8bdzj62l34jhyd53kci695mb-guix-config-source.drv
   /gnu/store/wjimxiq7npfrdhyzw61q50x6392pfc7c-config.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/slzxkifcrwx6vn1q0dkjgfsfbkij3hpy-guix-config.drv
   /gnu/store/pf123iw6bmf9c19lim91p4m16r0b9gl8-guix-core-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/zsrz3yk8r8261svnk80sd4407vn70wpq-guix-packages-modules.drv
   /gnu/store/ach8s5bsb30n04v584fnhfiq83nrkiy6-inferior-script.scm.drv
   /gnu/store/2ykcwnrmypv2sywjlqi548sjs3k3n47v-profile.drv
   /gnu/store/31p0x6jps8l8p7z5kkkncj8mpca9pyz6-inferior-script.scm.drv

2.2 MB would be downloaded
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

So the derivations had to be computed before the build plan could be
printed (which makes sense in retrospect).

Apologies, closing!

Maxim

Subject: --dry-run not effective on 'guix pull'
From: Maxim Cournoyer <[email-masked]>
To: bug-guix <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 15:25:25 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello,

The 'guix pull' command a --dry-run option, per "guix pull --help", but
it doesn't work:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
$ guix pull --commit=1995920f687020720d22bf8656fdde5ea1908747 --dry-run
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Updating channel 'sfl-packages' from Git repository at 'https://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel'...
Building from these channels:
  sfl-packageshttps://gitlab.com/Apteryks/sfl-guix-channel      6385881
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git   1995920
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://ci.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
substitute: updating substitutes from 'https://bordeaux.guix.gnu.org'... 100.0%
building /gnu/store/z3s04zx6cncpfffqhg1g8fkzyiiran54-compute-guix-derivation.drv...
Computing Guix derivation for 'x86_64-linux'... |^C
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

Thanks,

Maxim