Subject: [bug#53388] New package: gallery-dl

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 17:10:02 +0000

Hi,

Bird schreef op do 20-01-2022 om 11:48 [+0000]:
> +    (propagated-inputs (list python-requests))

The README says it can use ‘youtube-dl’ or ‘yt-dlp’ for vide downloads
and ‘ffmpeg‘ for some conversion, so maybe these could be added?

Also, propagation can lead to profile collisions which can be
complicated to resolve, so can this be made a regular input instead of
a propagated input?  Some wrap-program might be necessary.

> +    (home-page "https://github.com/mikf/gallery-dl")
> +    (synopsis "Command-line program to download images from several
> sites")
> +    (description "Command-line program to download image galleries
> + and collections from several image hosting sites")

Does it only support images, or also videos?  From the ‘ffmpeg’ and
‘youtube-dl’ dependency, I would assume the latter.  Also, when I'm
reading this description, it reminds me a lot of youtube-dl -- perhaps
the description could explain it supports more video sites, or less
video sites, or not only video but also images, or something along
these lines.

> +    (license gpl2+)
> +    (arguments
> +     '(#:tests? #f))))

Why are tests disabled here?

Also, 'gallery-dl' (indirectly) uses openssl for the S in HTTPS,
so you may need to add SSL_CERT_DIR (or SSL_CERT_FILE, not sure) to
native-search-paths to make "guix shell --pure yt-dlp nss-certs" work.

Although there appears to be some disagreement in that area, see e.g.
some discussion in #53324, so maybe not.

Greetings,
Maxime.