Subject: Re: bug#53377: 28.0.91: Build fails on MSYS2/MinGW-w64 with Clang

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:40:04 +0200

> Resent-From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
> Original-Sender: "Debbugs-submit" <[email-masked]>
> Resent-CC: [email-masked]
> Resent-Sender: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 09:14:24 +0800
> From:  Po Lu via "Bug reports for GNU Emacs,
>  the Swiss army knife of text editors" <[email-masked]>
> 
> Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Building under the Clang environment (which uses clang instead of gcc)
> > fails with
> 
> Do we really want to support building Emacs with Clang on MS-Windows?

It depends on what would such support require.  Judging by what I see
in the original report, we are very far from understanding that, so I
would withhold my judgment until I see what changes to the existing
code are needed to support that configuration.  I have no real
knowledge of how Clang supports native MS-Windows; I don't even know
what they use for the runtime library.  So I cannot envision up front
what kind of changes will be needed to produce a successful native
MS-Windows build of Emacs using Clang.