Subject: 29.0.50; error in map-into with type hash

From: Andrew Cohen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 14:52:15 +0800

On occasion after starting emacs and using it for awhile I will get an
error from the use of map-merge in nnselect.el. The explicit error is:

cl-no-applicable-method: No applicable method: map-into, nil, (hash-table :test equal)

and indeed once this happens any invocation of map-into with this type
fails with the same error. So simply invoking:
(map-into nil '(hash-table :test equal))
will produce the error. The only way I have been able to correct the
problem is to restart emacs.

Sadly, the bug arises only very rarely and I have no way to reliably
trigger it. It seems like somehow the (head hash-table) method of
map-into seems to spontaneously disappear in these cases.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.31, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2021-12-30 built on clove
Repository revision: b88024ad1aa0c2e75b407634038050a653fdb64b
Repository branch: master
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xinput2
 --with-native-compilation --with-pgtk'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY INOTIFY
PDUMPER PGTK PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP XIM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_HK.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  which-key-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  gcmh-mode: t
  xterm-mouse-mode: t
  doom-modeline-mode: t
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  corfu-global-mode: t
  corfu-mode: t
  marginalia-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  vertico-mode: t
  windmove-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  straight-use-package-mode: t
  straight-package-neutering-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  window-divider-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/cohen/.emacs.d/straight/build/transient/transient hides /home/cohen/src/git/emacs.native/lisp/transient
/home/cohen/.emacs.d/straight/build/let-alist/let-alist hides /home/cohen/src/git/emacs.native/lisp/emacs-lisp/let-alist

Features:
(shadow bbdb-message orgalist mailalias flyspell emacsbug sendmail debug
ispell help-fns radix-tree cl-print edebug backtrace orderless misearch
multi-isearch bug-reference thingatpt consult-vertico consult recentf
tree-widget bookmark cus-start gnus-gravatar gravatar dns sort gnus-cite
smiley shr-color mm-archive gnus-bcklg vc-mtn vc-hg vc-git diff-mode
vc-bzr vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc vc-dispatcher project
gnus-async gnus-dup qp mail-extr gnus-ml disp-table face-remap which-key
gnuplot info-look hl-line gnus-topic gnus-mlspl nndraft nnmh url-cache
utf-7 nnfolder bbdb-gnus epa-file gnutls network-stream gnus-agent
gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual gnus-cache gnus-demon nntp
spam-wash spam spam-stat bbdb-mua bbdb-com crm bbdb bbdb-site timezone
gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg gnus-propfont gnus-icalendar org-capture
org-refile orgalist-autoloads org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table
ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete
comint ring org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol org-keys oc
org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec icalendar diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-china-x cal-china lunar solar cal-dst holidays
hol-loaddefs cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs gnus-theme gnus-todo
nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe gnus-art mm-uu
mml2015 mm-view mml-smime smime dig gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku
browse-url gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-dbus dbus gnus-cloud
nnimap nnmail mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range cape company-bbdb message yank-media dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec server pinentry epa derived mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus
nnheader gnus-util text-property-search time-date mail-utils mule-util
pcase rainbow-delimiters init gcmh gcmh-autoloads org-bullets-autoloads
google-translate-smooth-ui google-translate-core-ui facemenu popup ido
google-translate-core google-translate-tk google-translate-backend
google-translate-autoloads popup-autoloads xt-mouse avoid doom-modeline
doom-modeline-segments doom-modeline-env doom-modeline-core comp
comp-cstr warnings shrink-path f s all-the-icons all-the-icons-faces
data-material data-weathericons data-octicons data-fileicons
data-faicons data-alltheicons doom-modeline-autoloads
shrink-path-autoloads poet-theme poet-theme-autoloads
all-the-icons-completion-autoloads all-the-icons-autoloads
rainbow-delimiters-autoloads google-this-autoloads
expand-region-autoloads pinentry-autoloads lsp-mode-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads spinner-autoloads ht-autoloads
consult-flycheck-autoloads flycheck ansi-color find-func rx dash
flycheck-autoloads pkg-info-autoloads epl-autoloads langtool-autoloads
dired-quick-sort-autoloads hydra-autoloads lv-autoloads magit-autoloads
magit-section-autoloads git-commit-autoloads with-editor-autoloads
transient-autoloads oauth2 url-http url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history mailcap url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-gw url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core eieio-loaddefs url-vars
nsm rmc puny json map plstore epg rfc6068 epg-config oauth2-autoloads
org-gcal-autoloads persist-autoloads alert-autoloads log4e-autoloads
gntp-autoloads request-deferred-autoloads deferred-autoloads
request-autoloads eudcb-ldap ldap password-cache eudc cus-edit pp
cus-load eudc-vars wid-edit bbdb-autoloads gnuplot-autoloads
flyspell-correct-autoloads pdf-tools-autoloads let-alist-autoloads
tablist-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site toc-org-autoloads
yasnippet-autoloads finder-inf cape-autoloads kind-icon svg-lib color
svg dom xml kind-icon-autoloads svg-lib-autoloads corfu corfu-autoloads
which-key-autoloads helpful-autoloads elisp-refs-autoloads f-autoloads
s-autoloads dash-autoloads embark-consult-autoloads embark-autoloads
marginalia marginalia-autoloads edmacro kmacro consult-autoloads
use-package-bind-key bind-key easy-mmode orderless-autoloads vertico
vertico-autoloads use-package-core windmove delsel use-package-autoloads
bind-key-autoloads straight-autoloads info cl-seq cl-extra help-mode seq
byte-opt straight subr-x cl-macs gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp
byte-compile cconv early-init iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/pgtk-win pgtk-win term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit pgtk lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process
native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 737499 208601)
 (symbols 48 36713 16)
 (strings 32 400209 18105)
 (string-bytes 1 10229495)
 (vectors 16 261772)
 (vector-slots 8 3689510 540107)
 (floats 8 20571 394033)
 (intervals 56 8707 4230)
 (buffers 992 38))

-- 
Andrew Cohen

Director, HKUST Jockey Club Institute for Advanced Study
Lam Woo Foundation Professor and Chair Professor of Physics

The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology