Subject: bug#53352: closed (Re: bug#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news')

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 19:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53352: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53352
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'
From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
To: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2022 11:27:44 -0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 01/31/22 09:32 AM, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> On 01/24/22 19:31 PM, Lars Ingebrigtsen wrote:
>>>>> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I suppose the Emacs 28 ship has sailed? It would be nice to include this
>>>>>> fix in the release.
>>>>>
>>>>> It's a regression from 27.2, so including a fix in Emacs 28 would be
>>>>> appropriate (if it's simple enough).  But we can run it on master for a
>>>>> while before backporting.
>>>>
>>>> Okay, good. I'm attaching the patch I'm using right now -- this appears
>>>> to fix it. I'll give it another day or two.
>>>
>>> I can confirm that this solves the problem for me, at least for some
>>> simple local testing.  I'll run with this patch applied for a few days
>>> as well.
>>
>> Great, thank you! I'll aim to push on say Thursday, then we can let it
>> simmer on master for a bit, then backport to 28.
>
> Just a ping to make sure this didn't get forgotten.

Not forgotten! But it was languishing in my local rebase pile, just
pushed.

I'm going to close this now, but please reopen if anything seems not to
be working as it should.

Eric

Subject: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'
From: Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2022 18:07:10 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I have a gnus installation where the select method is as such:

    ;;; Select Method
    (setq gnus-select-method
          '(nnimap "localimap"
                    (nnimap-inbox "INBOX")
                    (nnimap-address "xxxxxxxx.xxx")))

The IMAP server is Dovecot 2.3.17.1.  There's nothing special in the
group parameters for the INBOX folder, currently this:

    ((modseq . "6496")
     (uidvalidity . "1374073954")
     (active 1 . 2140)
     (permanent-flags %Answered %Flagged %Deleted %Seen %Draft gnus-forward gnus-download %*))

The group activation level is 1.

Mail splitting is currently being handled by sieve, not by Gnus.
However, when sieve leaves a message in INBOX rather than sorting it to
another folder, it does not appear in INBOX using `g'
(gnus-group-get-new-news).  Any mail that stays there does show up if I
use `M-g' (gnus-topic-get-new-news-this-topic) on the group.  This only
happens for the INBOX folder.  I don't believe INBOX should behave
differently from other folders in this regard.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-12 built on miko
Repository revision: f2fcea2716405aac9a3a6013b284b6b7be634725
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bookworm/sid

Configured using:
 'configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 --with-native-compilation --with-xinput2'

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF X11
XAW3D XDBE XIM XINPUT2 XPM LUCID ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Load-path shadows:
/home/md5i/.config/emacs/elpa/transient-20211105.100/transient hides /usr/local/share/emacs/29.0.50/lisp/transient

Features:
(shadow emacsbug dabbrev shr-color color sieve-mode org-element avl-tree
generator ol-eww eww xdg url-queue mm-url ol-rmail ol-mhe ol-irc ol-info
ol-gnus nnselect gnus-search eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
ol-docview doc-view ol-bibtex ol-bbdb ol-w3m ol-doi org-link-doi org ob
ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro org-footnote org-src
ob-comint org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline
org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval org-table oc-basic bibtex ol
org-keys oc org-compat advice org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs grep copyright time-stamp whitespace mailalias
smtpmail sendmail help-fns radix-tree magit-patch magit-subtree
magit-gitignore magit-ediff magit-extras calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu
calc calc-loaddefs rect calc-macs misearch multi-isearch tabify man
generic sh-script smie executable goto-addr vc-mtn vc-hg vc-bzr vc-src
vc-sccs vc-svn vc-cvs vc-rcs vc bug-reference face-remap thingatpt
vc-git vc-dispatcher flow-fill gnus-fun jka-compr image-mode exif
dired-aux mule-util sort gnus-cite mm-archive mail-extr qp gnus-async
gnus-bcklg gnus-ml disp-table gnus-topic cursor-sensor nndraft nnmh
nnfolder utf-7 epa-file network-stream gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score
score-mode nnvirtual gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-cache gnus-sum shr pixel-fill kinsoku svg gnus-demon nntp
gnus-group gnus-undo gnutls gnus-start gnus-dbus gnus-cloud gnus-spec
gnus-win flyspell ispell view pacproxy descr-text cus-edit pp cus-load
time sieve-manage sasl sasl-anonymous sasl-login sasl-plain rng-loc
rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse nxml-ns
nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util sgml-mode facemenu dom python tramp-sh tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat
parse-time iso8601 ls-lisp ps-print ps-print-loaddefs ps-def lpr picture
nm dbus xml magit-submodule magit-obsolete magit-blame magit-stash
magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone
magit-remote magit-commit magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree
magit-tag magit-merge magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs
magit-status magit magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log
which-func imenu magit-diff smerge-mode diff diff-mode easy-mmode
git-commit log-edit pcvs-util add-log magit-core magit-autorevert
autorevert filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process
with-editor shell pcomplete server magit-mode transient comp comp-cstr
warnings rx cl-extra edmacro kmacro help-mode format-spec magit-git
magit-section magit-utils crm dash nnimap nnmail gnus-int gnus-range
mail-source message yank-media rfc822 mml mml-sec epa mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader utf7 netrc nnoo gnus
wid-edit nnheader gnus-util time-date mail-utils gnus-o365-oauth2 oauth2
url-http url-auth mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums
mail-prsvr url-gw nsm rmc puny plstore generated generic-x epg rfc6068
epg-config ediff ediff-merg ediff-mult ediff-wind ediff-diff ediff-help
ediff-init ediff-util dired-x dired dired-loaddefs compile
text-property-search comint ring ansi-color cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess
cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs derived
debian-el info package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap
url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs
eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt
bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc
paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode
mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo x-toolkit
xinput2 x multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

-- 
Michael Welsh Duggan
([email-masked])