Subject: Re: bug#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:48:27 -0800

On 01/24/22 13:06 PM, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
> Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> On 01/24/22 17:34 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
>>> On Jan 24 2022, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
>>>
>>>> This appears to be happening in `gnus-get-unread-articles' in the
>>>> initial `let*'.  "INBOX" is the car of `gnus-newsrc-alist', and `newsrc'
>>>> is explicitly set to the cdr of that list.
>>>
>>> The first element of gnus-newsrc-alist is supposed to be the
>>> dummy.group, but that doesn't appear to be the case any more.  Can this
>>> be related to commit a09306d53b?
>>
>> Yup, looks like that's the problem. After the first time you save Gnus,
>> `gnus-newsrc-alist' has been redefined to exclude "dummy.group". It
>> should be easy to fix -- I'll move the sorting and exclusion into the
>> `let', which will preserve the variable's original value.
>
> To be clear, would this mean I need to add "dummy.group" to my
> `gnus-newsrc-alist' after you make this change, or will the change
> obviate the need for the dummy entry?  If the former, would you please
> verify the form I need to prepend to the alist?  Is it just the
> "dummy.group" string?

You won't have to do anything. With the code as it is, the dummy group
is present at Gnus startup, but gets deleted on first save. I'll put in
a fix that makes sure it doesn't get deleted. That should take care of
things.

There's no longer any need for a dummy group, and in the long run it
would be good to get rid of it. But I think in short term we still think
there's a significant amount of out-of-tree code that might be expecting
a dummy group.

Eric