Subject: bug#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'

From: Eric Abrahamsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 09:59:29 -0800

On 01/24/22 17:34 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> On Jan 24 2022, Michael Welsh Duggan wrote:
>
>> This appears to be happening in `gnus-get-unread-articles' in the
>> initial `let*'.  "INBOX" is the car of `gnus-newsrc-alist', and `newsrc'
>> is explicitly set to the cdr of that list.
>
> The first element of gnus-newsrc-alist is supposed to be the
> dummy.group, but that doesn't appear to be the case any more.  Can this
> be related to commit a09306d53b?

Yup, looks like that's the problem. After the first time you save Gnus,
`gnus-newsrc-alist' has been redefined to exclude "dummy.group". It
should be easy to fix -- I'll move the sorting and exclusion into the
`let', which will preserve the variable's original value.

I suppose the Emacs 28 ship has sailed? It would be nice to include this
fix in the release.

Eric