Subject: Re: bug#53352: 29.0.50; IMAP INBOX not refreshing using `gnus-group-get-new-news'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 17:33:41 +0100

Michael Welsh Duggan <[email-masked]> writes:

> This appears to be happening in `gnus-get-unread-articles' in the
> initial `let*'.  "INBOX" is the car of `gnus-newsrc-alist', and `newsrc'
> is explicitly set to the cdr of that list.

Oh!  This must be a leftover from when `gnus-newsrc-alist' always had a
dummy first entry, but that was changed a while back.  I think?

Eric, what's the status of the dummy.group that that used to be the
first element of gnus-newsrc-alist, but doesn't seem to be any more?

There's still a whole bunch of stuff in Gnus that skips the first
element because of that:

./lisp/gnus/gnus-sieve.el211:  (let* ((newsrc (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))
./lisp/gnus/gnus-kill.el653:    (setq newsrc (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))
./lisp/gnus/gnus-topic.el896:			    (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist)))
./lisp/gnus/gnus-cus.el1083:                                    (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist)))
./lisp/gnus/gnus-cus.el1086:                                      (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))))))))
./lisp/gnus/gnus-group.el1942:  (let ((alist (cdr gnus-newsrc-alist))

Do I misremember, or did you change this?  At least there's no
dummy.group as the car of my (and Michaels) gnus-newsrc-alist-s

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no