Subject: Re: [bug#53336] [PATCH] qbittorent: Bump 4.2.5 -> 4.4.0

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2022 12:43:52 +0100

[Please keep debbugs in CC or To]

Jacob Hrbek schreef op wo 19-01-2022 om 09:49 [+0000]:
> I don't have commit access so it's projected to be merged by
> privileged developer on my behalf thus the signed-off-by line so that
> i am not held liable (i am aware that GPLv3 has no liability clause)
> for the changes as GNU Guix lacks sufficient QA for the changes imho.

That's neither what that line means in Guix and neither what it means
in Linux (*) (the project that introduced the original Signed-off-by
IIUC), so I don't see where you got this interpretation about Signed-
off-by and liability from.

(*) See Documentation/process/submitting-patches.rst

In fact, Signed-off-by indicates a measure of ‘approval’ (in Guix
quite a bit more than in Linux IIUC) -- it's not explicitly spelled
out, but Linux' and Guix' contributing documentation seems too imply
this to some degree.

As such, assuming ‘Signed-off-by’ impacts liability somehow,
I would find it more likely that it would increase the chance
of being held liable than decreasing the chance of being held
liable.  Or maybe the inverse holds, who knows, I don't know
how liability and responsibility works legally.

Greetings,
Maxime.