Subject: [bug#53324] [PATCH] gnu: Add uftrace.

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2022 16:50:07 +0000

Ludovic Courtès schreef op do 20-01-2022 om 15:10 [+0100]:
> > If 'ncurses' is used (and depropagated), you probably need to add
> > the
> > search paths of ncurses (TERMINFO_DIRS) to make sure Guix knows to
> > set
> > TERMINFO_DIRS.
> 
> IMO we shouldn’t do that: ‘TERMINFO_DIRS’ “belongs” to ncurses, and
> we
> do not add it to each and every program that depends on ncurses.
> 
> I understand that not adding ‘TERMINFO_DIRS’ in uftrace can be
> annoying
> due to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/20255>, but so far consensus has
> been to keep search path specs where they belong.

Did you mean to refer to <https://issues.guix.gnu.org/22138> here
(‘Search paths of dependencies are not honored’)?

We do add SSL_CERT_DIR to guix even though guix it is only used through
guile+openssl (though we seem to forget to add it to many other
packages).  We sometimes add XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS to
‘leaf’ packages even though it is (usually) only used by some glib-
related things.

So aside from perhaps 22138, I don't see a problem here.  As long as
22138 isn't addressed, how else could Guix determine that some leaf
package needs TERMINFO_DIRS to be set?

Greetings,
Maxime.