Subject: [bug#53324] [PATCH] gnu: Add uftrace.

From: Olivier Dion <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 16:55:29 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jan 2022, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Olivier Dion schreef op ma 17-01-2022 om 16:02 [-0500]:
>> On Mon, 17 Jan 2022, Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>
>> In the mean time, would you have an idea on how to fix __FILE__ for
>> the build?  uftrace uses it for logging and it ends up expanding to
>> `/tmp/guix-build*/source/*`.  I tried to change the `srcdir` in the
>> various Makefile without much success.
>> 
>
> Maybe uftrace supports out-of-tree builds?  Also, does uftrace try to
> read /tmp/guix-build*, or does only the file name appear in
> backtraces?  If the latter, it is presumably not much of a problem.
> If it is, maybe out-of-tree builds could help.  Automake supports
> out-of-tree builds, but I don't know if uftrace's build system does.

It does support out-of-tree build juste like autotool.  The configure
script however does `readlink -f $(dirname $0)` for its `srcdir`.

For example, even if I build at `/tmp/uftrace` where the configure
script is at /home/old/documents/polymtl/bmi/uftrace, I will get
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
`uftrace:/home/old/documents/polymtl/bmi/uftrace/cmds/record.c:1571:find_in_path`
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
at runtime.

-- 
Olivier Dion
Polymtl