Subject: bug#53322: 28.0.91; "C-h c" errors out for menu-bar clicks

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 20:03:05 +0200

C-h c
  Click File->Open File from the menu bar

This signals an error:

  posn-set-point: Position not in text area of window

Same thing happens with "C-h k".

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 2, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2022-01-09 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-native-compilation'

Configured features:
ACL GIF GMP GNUTLS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES
NATIVE_COMP NOTIFY W32NOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SOUND THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS XPM ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: RMAIL

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  desktop-save-mode: t
  save-place-mode: t
  display-battery-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  temp-buffer-resize-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
d:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/soap-client hides d:/usr/share/emacs/28.0.91/lisp/net/soap-client

Features:
(shadow emacsbug debug backtrace completion pulse etags fileloop
generator compare-w apropos smerge-mode diff whitespace skeleton
texinfo texinfo-loaddefs cl-print mouse-copy mouse-drag vc-mtn vc-hg
vc-src vc-sccs vc-svn rmailout eieio-opt speedbar ezimage dframe
find-func shortdoc thingatpt help-fns radix-tree dabbrev misearch
multi-isearch shell pcomplete comint ansi-color rfc2104 gnutls
network-stream nsm mail-extr smtpmail mailalias sendmail cc-awk
conf-mode make-mode jka-compr bat-mode noutline outline vc-cvs vc-rcs
dired-aux vc-bzr generic flyspell add-log vc vc-git diff-mode
easy-mmode vc-dispatcher bug-reference mule-util info rmailsum
shr-color color shr kinsoku svg dom browse-url url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap qp rmailmm message rmc puny rfc822
mml mml-sec epa epg rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader mail-parse rfc2231 rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source eieio
eieio-core eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils desktop frameset server
find-lisp dired dired-loaddefs filecache mairix cus-edit pp cus-load
wid-edit saveplace midnight facemenu ispell derived generic-x cc-mode
cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine
cc-vars cc-defs xref project ring format-spec battery dbus xml time
comp comp-cstr warnings subr-x rx cl-seq cl-macs cl-extra help-mode
seq byte-opt gv cl-loaddefs cl-lib bytecomp byte-compile cconv
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp disp-table
term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode
lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch
easymenu timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
font-core term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript
charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray
cl-preloaded nadvice button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files
window text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages
mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads
w32notify w32 lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile
emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 3957439 320550)
 (symbols 48 24492 2)
 (strings 16 170808 24807)
 (string-bytes 1 5539140)
 (vectors 16 77302)
 (vector-slots 8 2085405 310684)
 (floats 8 382 369)
 (intervals 40 875430 6079)
 (buffers 888 332))