Subject: bug#5332 closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> (Re: bug#5332: debbugs.gnu.org: provide HTTP redirects from emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com)

From: [email-masked] (Emacs bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 18:10:03 +0000

This is an automatic notification regarding your bug report
which was filed against the debbugs.gnu.org package:

#5332: debbugs.gnu.org: provide HTTP redirects from emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com

It has been closed by Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>.

Their explanation is attached below along with your original report.
If this explanation is unsatisfactory and you have not received a
better one in a separate message then please contact Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> by
replying to this email.

-- 
5332: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=5332
Emacs Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#5332: debbugs.gnu.org: provide HTTP redirects from emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 13:09:01 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

"era eriksson" wrote:

> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=889
> http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4030

Fixed, via a horrible hack.

(It's a bit complicated, because the mailman instance on
debbugs.gnu.org wants to use cgi-bin/, debbugs wants to use cgi/, and
both want to use Apache rules.)

Subject: debbugs.gnu.org: provide HTTP redirects from emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
From: "era eriksson" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:10:05 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Package: debbugs.gnu.org
X-Debbugs-Cc: [email-masked]

I have the following links open in my web browser:

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=emacs
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=889
http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4030

All of these currently return a "404 Not Found" error page, apparently
because the server was moved to debbugs.gnu.org.  However, some pages on
emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com are still valid, and there is no clear
transition to the new domain name.

May I suggest that the HTTP server at emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com be
configured to redirect these links to the corresponding page at
debbugs.gnu.org in order to allow old bookmarks, URL links in emails and
IRC transcripts, and saved browser sessions to work across this
transition.  If the server is Apache, you want to look at mod_redirect
and configure it to produce a 301 redirect for these and related links.

/* era */

-- 
If this were a real .signature, it would suck less.  Well, maybe not.