Subject: [bug#53319] [PATCH] gnu: Add n2n.

From: Nicolas Goaziou <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2022 19:49:34 +0100

Hello,

Maxime Devos <[email-masked]> writes:

> 'configure' is run during build, so for cross-compilation, a sh from
> 'native-inputs' shoud be used instead of 'inputs':
>
>   (("/bin/sh") (search-input-file (or native-inputs inputs) "/bin/sh"))

True, I keep forgetting about this. It would be more natural to use
(search-input-file native-inputs "/bin/sh"), but, IIRC, native-inputs
may be empty if we are not cross-compiling.

I will fix it.

> or simpler:
>
>   (("/bin/sh") (which "sh"))

IIUC, search-input-file is a replacement for `which', so that seems to
be going backwards.

Of course, if `which' is the preferred solution for package style, I'd
love to hear a confirmation about it.

> Also, this package definition packages version 2.8. Why not package
> the latest version instead?

The OP waited one month without any feedback. I consider this is more
respectful to apply the patch in its current version rather than
requesting more changes now. YMMV.

Of course, the update can happen in a later, very welcome, patch.

> Also, looking at
> <https://github.com/ntop/n2n/blob/472a9878f72299466ddbce2a232ea9e081159fa9/configure.seed#L94>,
> it seems that n2n might not be bit-for-bit reproducible.

I agree this package has room for improvement. Hopefully, 路辉 can have
a look at it.

Regards,
-- 
Nicolas Goaziou