Subject: bug#53316: 28.0.91; Missing Transient manual in Emacs

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2022 01:45:33 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Transient is not just a manual, Transient is an Emacs Lisp package,

I know.

    > Removing its manual is only acceptable to me if we also remove
    > the package and all its uses.

Lots of packages don't have manuals.  Indeed, it is undesirable not to
have the Texinfo manual, but not a disaster.

  > > * Fork the manual, making a version for which the Texinfo form is the
  > >   real source that we edit.  That version can be included in Emacs 28.
  > >   This forkage would be a practical problem, but not a disaster.

  > This is what we did, in effect.  The Texinfo sources were heavily edited, and diverged significantly from the results of conversion from Org.

I see.  Well, this is ok, in terms of principles.

  > The converter exists, but has problems that need to be resolved
  > before the results could be acceptable.  We hope this will be done
  > in the future, and will allow us to use the Org sources instead of
  > Texinfo.

  > Fof future releases, we indeed hope to see the problems of
  > conversion from Org resolved,

That would be a very good advance; but because it's difficult and
because I've seen people neglect the issue before, could you ask
the people doing this to show me the spec they want to implement?

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)