Subject: bug#53316: 28.0.91; Missing Transient manual in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2022 10:46:28 +0200

> From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked],
> 	[email-masked], [email-masked]
> Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2022 23:57:42 -0500
> 
> Would someone please post a review of what this issue is about?
> I have not been following it -- I thought it was a technical issue
> and assumed people would find a good solution -- but now it seems
> maybe it goes beyond the level of technical.

The original sources for this manual are in Org, but the program that
produces Texinfo from the Org original has problems that need to be
resolved before we can include the Org sources in the Emacs release
tarball.  The Org sources themselves also have several issues.

The current Texinfo sources in the repository were heavily edited to
solve many problems in the original version converted from Org to
Texinfo, and that is how we intend to distribute that in Emacs 28.1.
Work continues on solving the problems in the Org sources and in the
conversion programs, with the goal of switching to the Org sources
when this job is done to our satisfaction.

I think having this manual, with all its deficiencies and issues, in
the Emacs 28 tarball is better than not having any manual.  Transient
is a very non-trivial package, and I believe it would be impossible
for users to use it without a decent manual.