Subject: bug#53316: 28.0.91; Missing Transient manual in Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 08:23:40 +0200

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 16:09:39 -0500
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>,
>  Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
> > And I don't think it makes sense to add the org file if some of the
> > code needed to produce the texi file are not available inside Emacs.
> > Eli would just have had to fix many more issues manually.
> 
> Then IMO this manual should not be distributed with Emacs, until such
> time as the required build machinery can be.

That's IMNSHO an extremist POV with which I cannot disagree more.
It's tantamount to saying that if we have a bug in Emacs, we cannot
make a release until we fix it.

As long as we are working on this issue, and intend to eventually
provide the Org source in the distribution, I see no reason to remove
the manual from the distribution.  The Texinfo source will be in the
tarball, can be used to make changes in the manual, and after my
extensive changes one can no longer say that Texinfo is not the real
source anyway.

We should strive to fix the issues with generating the manual from Org
on master, before Emacs 29 is released.  Jonas, if you need any help
with that, please holler.