Subject: bug#53310: [PATCH] cannot use memory-report-object-size in pristine session

From: Sergey Vinokurov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:48:06 +0000

When I try to to use memory-report-object-size I get following error on 
Emacs 28.0 pretest:

$ emacs --batch -Q --eval "(progn (require 'memory-report) (message 
\"%s\" (memory-report-object-size '(a b \"cd\"))))"
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (wrong-type-argument number-or-marker-p nil)
   #f(compiled-function (counted value) #<bytecode 
-0x1a1202ad2c7fe610>)(#<hash-table eq 1/19 0x157c06d25887> (a b "cd"))
   apply(#f(compiled-function (counted value) #<bytecode 
-0x1a1202ad2c7fe610>) #<hash-table eq 1/19 0x157c06d25887> (a b "cd") nil)
   memory-report--object-size-1(#<hash-table eq 1/19 0x157c06d25887> (a 
b "cd"))
   memory-report--object-size(#<hash-table eq 1/19 0x157c06d25887> (a b 
"cd"))
   memory-report-object-size((a b "cd"))
   (message "%s" (memory-report-object-size '(a b "cd")))
   (progn (require 'memory-report) (message "%s" 
(memory-report-object-size '(a b "cd"))))
   command-line-1(("--eval" "(progn (require 'memory-report) (message 
\"%s\" (mem..."))
   command-line()
   normal-top-level()

While this command line does work:

$ emacs --batch -Q --eval "(progn (require 'memory-report) 
(memory-report--garbage-collect) (message \"%s\" 
(memory-report-object-size '(a b \"cd\"))))"
82

Not sure whether I'm using memory-report-object-size as intended but its 
initialization is definitely not doing anything since 
memory-report--type-size is initialized to a hash table in the same module.

Sergey

From feac83270d642e0652487cbea802ce527bdbe7e4 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
From: Sergey Vinokurov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 23:40:39 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Fix memory-report-object-size to initialize
 memory-report--type-size

    * lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el (memory-report-object-size):
      Fix initialization of memory-report--type-size.
---
 lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el | 2 +-
 1 file changed, 1 insertion(+), 1 deletion(-)

diff --git a/lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el b/lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el
index eae0e36234..52db0af7fc 100644
--- a/lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el
+++ b/lisp/emacs-lisp/memory-report.el
@@ -75,7 +75,7 @@ memory-report
 
 (defun memory-report-object-size (object)
   "Return the size of OBJECT in bytes."
-  (unless memory-report--type-size
+  (when (= 0 (hash-table-count memory-report--type-size))
     (memory-report--garbage-collect))
   (memory-report--object-size (make-hash-table :test #'eq) object))
 
-- 
2.34.1