Subject: bug#53301: closed (Re: bug#53301: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 17:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53301: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53301: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53301
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53301: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing
From: Marius Bakke <[email-masked]>
To: Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2022 18:35:56 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]> skriver:

> Steps to reproduce:
> 0. Get ungoogled-chromium
> 1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
> 2. Start a screenshare
> 3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare to
> malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen share
> changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:

Fixed in f3b73e46df82297ffabaa3b32fc765fa3065cad0.

Thanks for the report and reproducer!

Subject: Ungoogled-chromium lacks VP8 codec support preventing jitsi screensharing
From: Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2022 10:27:23 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

See forwarded message

Steps to reproduce:
0. Get ungoogled-chromium
1. Open a call on jitsi e.g. https://jit.si/ILoveKreyren2Much
2. Start a screenshare
3. Join the call from a different browser and expect the screenshare to
malfunction either with tab crashing with "Aw, snap" or the screen share
changing on black screen and chromium printing this to the console:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

I assume that we need to include VP8 codec

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	Re: Jitsi Meet Screen Sharing with Ungoogled-Chromium
Date: 	Sun, 16 Jan 2022 11:24:28 +0100
From: 	Jacob Hrbek <[email-masked]>

To: 	[email-masked]

 > Third party not a guix package

Those are not supported by GNU Guix and will be met with hostility,
because how dare you unfree scum!

---

Good thing that i ain't a bad person.. not part of GNU Guix to help! :p

Last time i tried it it worked out-of-the-box for me, i tested it now
again and also works without problem

GNU Guix (374fea0f3bc8035f626cb29e6045130df9ffdaf8) with
ungoogled-chromium-97.0.4692.71-1

Which was tested on the https://meet.jit.si instance.. Provide a
javascript console log which should have an explanation for this
failure.. My current hypothesis is that your chromium doesn't provide a
sufficient/sane TURN server and so jitsi crashes.

See
https://serverfault.com/questions/591837/how-does-chrome-webrtc-select-which-turn-server-to-use-if-multiple-options-are-g
on how to change the turn server.

..and to comply with GNU FSDG i have to tell you that using
non-ungoogled chromium and 3rd party repos is
unethical as it most
likely contains nonfree blobs which limit user freedom and contain
malware as such i am providing content of ~/.config/chromium in
attachment which should make your chromium more libre and i am also
encouraging you to use ungoogled-chromium.

EDIT: I missed the part with screensharing x.x .. on mentioned chromium
it starts printing:

[18990:23:0116/111829.036853:ERROR:webrtc_video_engine.cc(3446)] Absent
receive stream; ignoring clearing encoded frame sink for ssrc 0
[18990:12:0116/111836.246422:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1827)] Failed
to encode frame. Error code: -7
[18990:12:0116/111834.601625:ERROR:video_stream_encoder.cc(1149)] Failed
to initialize the encoder associated with codec type: VP8 (1)

in the console when i have screenshare and when someone joins and the
screen share changes to a black screen so i believe that this is a bug
due to the lack of sufficient VP8 codec.

On 1/16/22 10:46, Yasuaki Kudo wrote:
> Is there any
one here who uses Jitsi Meet to share screens from Guix?  Let me know!
>
> At least in version 90 of chromium (third party, not a guix package), it used to work.
>
> With the current ungoogled-chromium on Guix, the moment someone else connects to the Jitsi session, ungooogled-chromium dies with an 'aw, snap' message.
>
> -Yasu

--
Jacob Hrbek