Subject: 29.0.50; GTK3 frame stops updating

From: Ross Vandegrift <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 22:43:33 -0800

Under the Enlightenmnet window manager 0.25, emacs w/GTK3 stops updating
after switching to a different virtual desktop and back.  It still
responds to keyboard input.  It can be restored by shading (aka rolling
up) or minimizing the window.

Further, minimizing the window will cause emacs to behave correctly
after future virtual desktop switches.  At least until another unshading
- at which point it stops updating again.

Enlightenment 0.25 began setting _NET_WM_STATE to _NET_WM_STATE_HIDDEN
when switching virtual desktops.  According to xprop, the value is
cleared after returning to the emacs desktop.

A Xaw build doesn't have this problem.  I've confirmed this with with
27.1 packages from debian bullseye and the current master branch.

To reproduce:
1. install enlightenment 0.25 and start an X session
2. configure at least two virtual desktops in Settings -> Screen ->
Virtual Desktops
3. install emacs using the GTK3 toolkit and start it
4. switch to another virtual desktop and back
5. focus the emacs frame, typing will not show up, but keyboard
shortcuts still work (C-x C-c is easy to verify with)
6. double click the window title bar twice to shade & unshade.  The
window should start updating again.

Thanks,
Ross

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.24, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-15 built on stgulik
Repository revision: c59e870cceb2f40040d6c02da7658c58054ab3ad
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12011000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)

Configured using:
 'configure --with-x=yes --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-cairo
 --with-toolkit-scroll-bars --enable-libsystemd --without-gconf
 --with-mailutils --prefix=/usr/local/emacs/'

Configured features:
ACL CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GPM GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG
JSON LCMS2 LIBOTF LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 M17N_FLT MODULES NOTIFY
INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG RSVG SECCOMP SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
WEBP X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  global-flycheck-mode: t
  auto-insert-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  cl-old-struct-compat-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell mail-extr emacsbug message yank-media rmc dired
dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg rfc6068 epg-config
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums flycheck-yamllint init
trailing-whitespace-mode terraform-mode systemd edmacro kmacro server
rego-mode reformatter protobuf-mode cc-langs plantuml-mode ob-dot ox-odt
rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse rng-match rng-dt rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-parse
nxml-ns nxml-enc xmltok nxml-util ox-latex ox-icalendar ox-html table
ox-ascii ox-publish ox org-element avl-tree org-capture org-agenda
org-refile org ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-macro
org-footnote org-src ob-comint org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob-core ob-eval
org-table oc-basic bibtex iso8601 ol org-keys oc org-compat org-macs
org-loaddefs format-spec cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs paragraph-tricks
nginx-mode meson-mode markdown-mode noutline outline logstash-conf
conf-mode js cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs ispell highlight-symbol
highlight-quoted highlight-parentheses highlight-numbers parent-mode
highlight-defined advice hcl-mode go-mode find-file ffap etags fileloop
generator xref project compile comint ansi-color ring gitlab-ci-mode
yaml-mode flycheck find-func dash dockerfile-mode s sh-script executable
css-mode smie sgml-mode facemenu imenu eww xdg url-queue thingatpt shr
pixel-fill kinsoku svg xml dom puny mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util
text-property-search time-date mail-utils wid-edit mm-util mail-prsvr
color autoinsert cl-extra help-mode use-package use-package-ensure
use-package-delight use-package-diminish use-package-bind-key bind-key
easy-mmode use-package-core finder-inf autorevert filenotify rx info
package browse-url url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap url-handlers
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json map url-vars seq gv subr-x byte-opt bytecomp
byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel
term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core
term/tty-colors frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms
cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table
epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice
button loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 489361 16852)
 (symbols 48 32344 5)
 (strings 32 171428 5117)
 (string-bytes 1 4919003)
 (vectors 16 58333)
 (vector-slots 8 639678 18492)
 (floats 8 244 245)
 (intervals 56 514 95)
 (buffers 992 11))