Subject: [bug#53295] [PATCH] gnu: Add FFmpeg 5.0.

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2022 10:24:06 +0100

Hi,

Leo Famulari <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Here's the new major release of FFmpeg.
>
> We can add it right away and move users over to it incrementally as we
> test them — having this new version is useful for people like me who use
> FFmpeg directly.
>
> Also, I always found our FFmpeg packages' use of inheritance to be
> confusing when making changes to them, so I didn't use it here.
>
> * gnu/packages/video.scm (ffmpeg-5): New variable.

Could you remove input labels?  (I think ‘guix style’ can’t help because
of the conditional in the middle.)

That said, it seems to me there’s a lot of duplication here compared to
version 4.  So I’d be in favor of inheriting from that one.

Now, I agree that sometimes attempting to factorize every bit can lead
to hard-to-read packages.  Perhaps the solution is to duplicate and
tweak just those bits where factorization would make things less clear?

Thanks,
Ludo’.