Subject: 28.0.91; TRAMP SSHFS method not known by default

From: Philipp Stephani <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 13:41:48 +0100

First, thanks for adding the SSHFS method, it works really well in
general!  However, I think it should be available by default:

$ emacs -Q -batch -eval '(print (directory-files "/ssh:localhost:/sys"))'
Tramp: Sending command ‘exec ssh -e none localhost’
Tramp: Found remote shell prompt on ‘localhost’

("." ".." "block" "bus" "class" "dev" "devices" "firmware" "fs" "hypervisor" "kernel" "module" "power")

(as expected)

But:

$ emacs -Q -batch -eval '(print (directory-files "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/"))'
, Method ‘sshfs’ is not known.
Debugger entered--Lisp error: (user-error "Method ‘sshfs’ is not known.")
  signal(user-error ("Method ‘sshfs’ is not known."))
  tramp-error((tramp-file-name "sshfs" nil nil "localhost" nil "/sys/" nil) user-error "Method `%s' is not known." "sshfs")
  apply(tramp-error (tramp-file-name "sshfs" nil nil "localhost" nil "/sys/" nil) user-error "Method `%s' is not known." "sshfs")
  tramp-user-error((tramp-file-name "sshfs" nil nil "localhost" nil "/sys/" nil) "Method `%s' is not known." "sshfs")
  tramp-dissect-file-name("/sshfs:localhost:/sys/")
  tramp-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/" nil)
  expand-file-name("/sshfs:localhost:/sys/" nil)
  apply(expand-file-name ("/sshfs:localhost:/sys/" nil))
  tramp-autoload-file-name-handler(expand-file-name "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/" nil)
  directory-files("/sshfs:localhost:/sys/")
  (print (directory-files "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/"))
  eval((print (directory-files "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/")) t)
  command-line-1(("-eval" "(print (directory-files \"/sshfs:localhost:/sys/\"))"))
  command-line()
  normal-top-level()

This can be fixed by first loading tramp-sshfs and the loading tramp
(any other combination doesn't seem to work):

$ emacs -Q -batch -l tramp-sshfs -l tramp -eval '(print (directory-files "/sshfs:localhost:/sys/"))'

("." ".." "block" "bus" "class" "dev" "devices" "firmware" "fs" "hypervisor" "kernel" "module" "power")

But it would be great if this could just work out of the box.

In GNU Emacs 28.0.91 (build 6, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.30, cairo version 1.16.0)
 of 2022-01-15
Repository revision: 7f36aca99dc1387cfeb599c9f2bb781036f79cf1
Repository branch: emacs-28
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12013000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux rodete

Configured using:
 'configure --enable-gcc-warnings=warn-only
 --enable-gtk-deprecation-warnings --without-pop --with-mailutils
 --enable-checking=all --enable-check-lisp-object-type --with-modules
 'CFLAGS=-O0 -ggdb3''

Configured features:
CAIRO DBUS FREETYPE GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS GSETTINGS HARFBUZZ JPEG JSON
LIBSELINUX LIBSYSTEMD LIBXML2 MODULES NOTIFY INOTIFY PDUMPER PNG SECCOMP
SOUND THREADS TIFF TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS X11 XDBE XIM XPM GTK3 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK.utf8
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail phst skeleton edmacro kmacro
pcase ffap thingatpt url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods
url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap rx
message rmc dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs auth-source cl-seq
eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json map
time-date mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 mm-util ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils
mailheader gnutls puny elp dbus xml subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv compile text-property-search comint ansi-color ring
cl-loaddefs cl-lib iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind inotify
dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting cairo
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 69550 6086)
 (symbols 48 8543 3)
 (strings 32 24825 2455)
 (string-bytes 1 802037)
 (vectors 16 15668)
 (vector-slots 8 207469 19668)
 (floats 8 29 46)
 (intervals 56 228 0)
 (buffers 992 11))

-- 
Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado
Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg

Diese E-Mail ist vertraulich.  Falls Sie diese fälschlicherweise erhalten haben
sollten, leiten Sie diese bitte nicht an jemand anderes weiter, löschen Sie
alle Kopien und Anhänge davon und lassen Sie mich bitte wissen, dass die E-Mail
an die falsche Person gesendet wurde.

This e-mail is confidential.  If you received this communication by mistake,
please don’t forward it to anyone else, please erase all copies and
attachments, and please let me know that it has gone to the wrong person.