Subject: bug#53281: 29.0.50; wishlist: eww should handle Referrer better

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2022 23:28:21 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

Browsers are "supposed to" provide the referrer field "correctly", but
that's not a good thing to do.  The effect is to give web sites
avoidable information about users' browsinge habits.  Thus, it is
better to do what Icecat does.

I think that Icecat gives a "correct" referrer field when you navigate
between pages in the same site, but gives a fake value when navigating
between sites.  I think the fake value may be the same site that you've
navigated to.

I think EWW should do what Icecat does.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman (https://stallman.org)
Chief GNUisance of the GNU Project (https://gnu.org)
Founder, Free Software Foundation (https://fsf.org)
Internet Hall-of-Famer (https://internethalloffame.org)