Subject: The blink-cursor-mode not work after startup on macOS

From: Eason Huang <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 12:41:27 +0800

Hi,

I found a problem when using Emacs 29 on macOS:

When Emacs is started at the first time, the blink-cursor-mode does
not work, and the focus needs to be switched to another
application, and then switching back again, it will work properly.

I tested with emacs -Q.
On other platforms (Linux, Windows) there is no such problem, It only
happened on macOS.

In GNU Emacs 29.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin19.6.0, NS appkit-1894.60 Version 10.15.7 (Build 19H1615))
of 2022-01-14 built on Mac-1642119124451.local
Repository revision: d476fd33ece51f506644cec737490eda96daf46c
Repository branch: HEAD
Windowing system distributor 'Apple', version 10.3.2113
System Description:  macOS 12.1

Configured using:
'configure --with-ns --with-modules
'--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application
Support/Emacs/site-lisp' --with-xwidgets --with-native-compilation
'CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include -I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include
-O2' 'LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11
-L/usr/local/opt/gcc/lib/gcc/11/gcc/x86_64-apple-darwin19/11
-L/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/lib/gcc/11 -I/usr/local/opt/gcc/include
-I/usr/local/opt/libgccjit/include -Wl,-headerpad_max_install_names''

Configured features:
ACL GIF GLIB GMP GNUTLS JPEG JSON LCMS2 LIBXML2 MODULES NATIVE_COMP
NOTIFY KQUEUE NS PDUMPER PNG RSVG SQLITE3 THREADS TIFF
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS WEBP XIM XWIDGETS ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  indent-tabs-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message mailcap yank-media rmc puny
dired dired-loaddefs rfc822 mml mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
rfc6068 epg-config gnus-util text-property-search time-date seq gv
subr-x byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
iso-transl tooltip eldoc paren electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type elisp-mode mwheel term/ns-win ns-win ucs-normalize
mule-util term/common-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page tab-bar menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch easymenu timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax font-core term/tty-colors
frame minibuffer cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite emoji-zwj charscript charprop case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray cl-preloaded nadvice button
loaddefs faces cus-face macroexp files window text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget keymap
hashtable-print-readable backquote threads xwidget-internal kqueue cocoa
ns lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process native-compile emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 58007 8547)
(symbols 48 5602 0)
(strings 32 16385 1905)
(string-bytes 1 542461)
(vectors 16 12798)
(vector-slots 8 277048 11061)
(floats 8 21 39)
(intervals 56 338 0)
(buffers 992 11))