Subject: Re: [bug#53257] [PATCH] gnu: foot: expose terminfo dirs via native-search-paths

From: Maxime Devos <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2022 16:38:17 +0100

Florian schreef op za 15-01-2022 om 15:19 [+0000]:
> Have you tried to add a search path to emacs or nano?

I don't, but I presume it would work -- at least 'ncurses' has a
TERMINFO_DIRS native-search-path, 'info-reader' and 'emacs' have an
INFOPATH ...
 
> I kinda doubt this would do much; neither nano or emacs ship a terminfo
> for kitty, or for foot. What I think could work is wrapping nano and
> emacs and every terminal application that has problems to add a path
> derived from generically set env vars to point to the places where

It doesn't matter that nano and emacs don't ship terminfo files --
if a package in the profile (or build environment) has some search
path, then the search path is set with corresponding directories from
_every_ package (*), irrespective of whether they have that search
path.

So as long as 'nano/emacs/vi/...' and 'kitty/foot/gnome-terminal-
emulator/...' are in the _same_ profile, the environment variable
of the search path is set.

They aren't always in the same profile though, 

(*) with some restrictions w.r.t. cross-compilation, native-search-
path/search-path, native-inputs/inputs ...

Greetings,
Maxime.