Subject: bug#53227: closed (Re: bug#53227: master: Wrong error message with M-: (funcall).)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:28:02 +0000

Your bug report

#53227: master: Wrong error message with M-: (funcall).

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
53227: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=53227
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#53227: master: Wrong error message with M-: (funcall).
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked], Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 12:26:58 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

>> The patch should hopefully fix both cases, tho as you can see the two
>> cases are fixed separately (which is what I mean by them being two
>> different bugs).
> I can confirm that this fixes the reported problem (and it doesn't lead
> to any test suite regressions), so please do go ahead and push it.

Done, thanks,

        Stefan

Subject: master: Wrong error message with M-: (funcall).
From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 07:39:05 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello, Emacs.

In the master branch, with emacs -Q, do

    M-: (funcall) RET

..  The error message one sees is

    (void-function nil)

..  This is wrong.  There is no function, nil or otherwise, supplied to
funcall.  The error message ought to be "Too few arguments", or
something like that.

The cause of the bug lies in Ffuncall in .../src/eval.c.  There, the
code uses args[0] without first checking that nargs > 0.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).