Subject: bug#53223: 27.2; multi-hop TRAMP with find-file-visit-truename t

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 23:38:38 +0100

Aleksei Fedotov <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Aleksei,

> It works exactly as described in the documentaion, but what is bothering me is
> the difference in behaviour depending on the state of
> `find-file-visit-truename'. It should only affect symlink resolution, but it
> also changes Tramp behaviour.
>
> If `find-file-visit-truename' is set to nil, then Tramp is able to revert the
> buffer and add a multi-hop definition back to `tramp-default-proxies-alist'.
> If `find-file-visit-truename' is set to t, then it doesn't work. Shouldn't the
> buffer somehow preserve the full path?

It isn't just a find-file-visit-truename problem. Tramp cleans up ad-hoc
multi-hop proxies when tramp-cleanup-all-connections is performed. This
could happen for many different Tramp file name operations, not just
file truenames. It is sheer luck for you that the example works when you
haven't set find-file-visit-truename.

If you replace tramp-cleanup-all-connections by tramp-cleanup-this-connection
in your example, it works as expected.

Best regards, Michael.