Subject: bug#53214: Release 1.4.0 progress

From: Vagrant Cascadian <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2022 16:22:21 -0800

On 2022-01-29, Leo Famulari wrote:
> The build farm is having trouble building Guix for i686-linux. In fact,
> it hasn't successfully completed the 'guix' job in weeks:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/53463
>
> And building the guix package does not work on aarch64, also for weeks:
>
> https://issues.guix.gnu.org/52943

It does work on my aarch64 machine as of
1ef7a03a148cf5f83ab1820444f6bd50d8e732d1 and more recently
f8bfb2d85682dcabe56a4b1b0f25d566a0abbd2b, but not sure why it's not
building on the build farm...

> Finally, should we consider retiring the armhf port in 1.4.0? It seems
> that we have stopped trying to build for it:
>
> https://ci.guix.gnu.org/search?query=guix+spec%3Amaster+system%3Aarmhf-linux

In a similar vein, aarch64 substitutes are in pretty bad shape... and
the architecture as a whole is a bit hard to keep up with; there are
some pretty obscure and difficult to triage bugs here and there.

I'm not sure what the qualities of a release-worthy architecture are,
but aarch64 is definitely suffering badly ever since the core-updates
merge and the merge of the 1.4 branch into master, which required a lot
of rebuilds...

live well,
  vagrant