Subject: bug#5321: Interaction problem between Emacs and terminal paste functions

From: James Mills <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 13:46:01 -0600

When using emacs from the terminal, pasting a largish (~>600K) amount
of text via the terminals paste functions results in an incomplete
paste of the text.

I've tried this in gnome-terminal, konsole, and xterm.

To recreate:

1) Visit http://cnn.com
2) View Source, and copy it
3) Open a terminal and start emacs (emacs -nw --no-splash)
4) Paste via the terminal's paste function (not emacs-specific *yank*)

The result (in my case) is the last 50 or so lines of the HTML.

Following the same procedure in vim/joe/nano/pico, and even echo and
cat result in the HTML in its entirety.

I've tried this in GNU Emacs 22.1.1, GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1, and GNU Emacs 21.3.1.

I've tried this on Ubuntu 8.04 and RHEL3 WS (remotely).

I popped into #emacs, and someone there was nice enough to verify that
they saw the same symptom using non-html text.

This is *not* a problem in the GUI versions of emacs.

Thanks so much.
James W. Mills
[email-masked]