Subject: Re: bug#53205: 28.0.90; [PATCH] GNU ELPA: Provide more control over linked documentation

From: Y. E. <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2022 15:20:25 +0200

>Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Y. E. <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>> My initial idea for fixing this issue was to add a property
>> ':doc-asset', which could be configured to '(FROM . TO)' directories
>> names, then used for moving images to the 'archive-devel/doc/company/'
>> folder, as shown below:
>
> I think that sounds OK...

Fine by me, though with a workaround to apply custom styles. The
generated plain HTML outputs images as is, which doesn't look well in
the described case.

>
>> That worked fine during my tests but thinking about how to apply CSS
>> styles to the manual (including to control the size of the shown
>> images), I've got the second idea: Company already has an online version
>> of the user manual with all the proper styles and images in place, so
>> why not link directly to it?
>
> [...]
>
>>   :doc-html ignore
>>   :resources (("User Manual" . "https://company-mode.github.io/manual/index.html"))
>
> Well, the user wants to see the version of the manual that corresponds
> to the version of the package they have installed, so just redirecting
> them to an external web page doesn't seem very useful?  But perhaps I'm
> misunderstanding the proposal.  (And I'm adding Stefan to the CCs;
> perhaps he has some comments.)

I agree, this is a good point. Currently, the most recent version of the
manual is displayed at Company website. But it's planned to output the
stable version there in the future. So, yes, it would be nice/convenient
to have a development version generated at GNU ELPA.