Subject: bug#53202: 27.2; Shift + function key not recognized

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 15:08:24 +0200

> From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 05:40:26 +0000
> 
> emacs -Q
> 
> (global-set-key (kbd "S-<f10>") 'forward-char)
> 
> C-h w forward-char  ; Says it's bound to <S-f10>
> 
> But Emacs doesn't recognize that key at all.  E.g. `C-h k' followed by
> Shift with function-key <f10>: the key isn't recognized.

I cannot reproduce this.  I tried on 2 different Windows systems, both
with Emacs 27 and Emacs 28, and they both recognize S-F10 fine; with
the provided recipe, S-F10 moves point one character forward, as
expected.

I suspect that your system has some system-wide customizations that
steal this key.  Maybe try to use w32-register-hot-key to work around
that.

> Is this a product bug?  A doc bug?  Neither?  Is it perhaps
> platform-dependent?  I see this behavior also in older Emacs releases,
> so it's not new.

If it's something specific to your Windows installation, it will most
probably happen with any Emacs version.