Subject: [PATCH] * Clarify that @var{auto-mode-alist} is searched

From: Hong Xu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 16:46:22 -0800

doc/lispref/modes.texi | 7 ++++---
 1 file changed, 4 insertions(+), 3 deletions(-)

diff --git a/doc/lispref/modes.texi b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
index 5fc831536e82..0bd1fc51febf 100644
--- a/doc/lispref/modes.texi
+++ b/doc/lispref/modes.texi
@@ -750,9 +750,10 @@ Auto Major Mode
 When you visit a file whose expanded file name (@pxref{File Name
 Expansion}), with version numbers and backup suffixes removed using
 @code{file-name-sans-versions} (@pxref{File Name Components}), matches
-a @var{regexp}, @code{set-auto-mode} calls the corresponding
-@var{mode-function}.  This feature enables Emacs to select the proper
-major mode for most files.
+a @var{regexp}, @code{set-auto-mode} calls the @var{mode-function}
+that corresponds to the first such @var{regexp} in
+@var{auto-mode-alist}.  This feature enables Emacs to select the
+proper major mode for most files.
 
 If an element of @code{auto-mode-alist} has the form @code{(@var{regexp}
 @var{function} t)}, then after calling @var{function}, Emacs searches
-- 
2.30.2