Subject: Re: bug#53188: 28.0.90; if tooltip-mode is off, modeline context menu blocks minibuffer at column 36

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 19:16:30 +0200

> Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2022 13:59:23 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Van Ly <[email-masked]>
> 
> observed behavior
> * minibuffer's message line is blocked by modeline context menu at 
> column 36
> 
> expected behavior
> * minibuffer's message line is readable for the length of the width 
> of the emacs frame, modeline context menu offsets appropriately and 
> does not block minibuffer message line

Patches are welcome to pop up the menus so that they never overlap the
echo-area when tooltip-mode is nil.  (This must be done up front, when
calculating where to pop up the menu.)

I do note that the most important use case where this comes into play,
which is menus on text-mode frames, already behaves that way.  So the
problem is rather small and confined to a somewhat marginal use case.

Thanks.